Over the past few weeks, our Throwback Thursday feature showcased a dozen churches in our area that have been worshiping since the 1800s. This week, we look in on some of the region’s vintage health and wellness practitioners, beginning with Rimmer’s Drug Store, a predecessor to Mann’s Drug Store at the corner of Wicker and Steele Streets. This building, constructed in 1927, also hosted offices for lawyers, doctors and other professionals, as well as the Sanford Post Office from 1927 to 1937.
Did you know that for roughly a half century, Sanford was home to 2 hospitals? Central Carolina Hospital has been serving the community for over a century, including its time on the east side of town at the intersection of 4th Street and Maple Avenue. This building was constructed in 1907.
From 1931 to 1981, Lee County Memorial Hospital “operated” in this facility on the west side of Sanford, at Carthage Street and Hillcrest Drive. In 1991, the Lee County government gained control of the building and uses it to this day.
In addition to 2 hospitals, the area also had 2 “Lee Drug Stores.” This version was located at 101 S Steele Street and operated from the late 1920s until around 1980. As seen in this picture, the store’s soda fountain was a popular draw.
Considering the activity level in what was called Jonesboro until around 1950, it isn’t surprising to see a “Lee Drug Store” based in this downtown area as well. This store, packed full of all sorts of products, was located on Main Street and had a lifespan similar to its Sanford counterpart, operating from around 1920, into the 1990s.
You may be aware that the Lutterloh building at the corner of Chatham and McIver is in the process of being renovated. It’s new life is envisioned as a mixed use property, complete with residential housing, as well as space for offices and retail. Today’s contractors owe a debt of thanks to this construction crew that erected the building in 1909 for Dr. Issac Lutterloh, who set up his practice here. His brother Thomas operated a drug store in the building as well.
Editorial content, pictures and research background , compliments of Jimmy Haire and Images of America: Sanford and Lee County, by Jimmy Haire & W.W. Seymour, Jr, available here for purchase. All book proceeds go to Sanford’s Railroad House Historical Association, Inc.