In 1916, The McIver School was opened at 219 Maple Avenue and became the third public school to be built in Sanford. The school contains two floors. During it’s formative years in service as the East Sanford Graded School, high school grades were on the second floor and the elementary grades were on the first floor. By 1925, the school was exclusively an elementary school.
In its current tenure, the building is owned by Sanford’s Bread of Life Ministries … a community service-inspired gift provided to the ministry by Sandra Wilson, who originally purchased the building in 1988. BOLM serves the community with a food pantry and weekly Meals For Life program, that provides food and roughly 200 meals for local residents.
In it’s future, Bread of Life Ministry sees the potential for even greater community service. The founder of Bread of Life Ministries, Bill Hicks, along with other city officials and visitors recently toured the school to generate ideas on how to repurpose the school to help the community. The space of 60,000 square feet needs to be verified by fire marshals to evaluate the safety and code of the structure. Possibly, Bread of Life Ministries wants to recreate the gymnasium and cafeteria to be used as shelters for emergency reasons, such as harsh weather conditions.
To read more about the building visit and plans for its future, read Sanford Herald writer Michelle Bir’s coverage here.