Pillow Talk

In this day & age we have Air B&Bs, vacation rentals by owners, and traditional bed & breakfasts, as well as the customary hotels and motels. It’s worth noting that for as long as people have called modern-day Lee County home, there have been places where weary travelers could rest their heads after a long day. The first recorded such place was called the Page Hotel. It was located on Moore Avenue in downtown Sanford and founded around 1883.

Our first photo is of the original Sanford Hotel. It was built in 1887, right near the railroad tracks on South Moore Street, near South Wicker Street. A wooden structure, this hotel met the same fate as many other wooden buildings, when it burned to the ground in 1891. This led to the second Sanford Hotel, a brick building, constructed in the early 1920s at the same location.

Downtown Hawkins Avenue has been known as place for elegant housing for over a century. Here’s a 1910 home with 12 rooms, that soon became known as The Hearthstone. By the time it was demolished in the 1970s, it had been renovated 4 times, expanded to 36 rooms, and had become a popular destination for travelers and boarders alike.

“Tourist homes” were popular between the world wars and Sanford had several in its heyday. At this stylish home, owners rented out rooms to road-weary guests. The Lano Tourist Home opened as a tourist home at 507 Carthage Street in 1936. A short distance away was the Red Brick Tourist Home, owned and operated by Mrs. W.R. Makepeace, at the corner of Hawkins Avenue and Chisholm Street.

After World War II, tourist homes faded from view … replaced by lots of motels. America’s motoring public loved its travel, and enjoyed staying in roadside spots like this one, the colorfully named Rip Van Winkle Motel, on US 1.

Editorial content, pictures and research background, compliments of Jimmy Haire and Images of America: Sanford and Lee County, by Jimmy Haire & W.W. Seymour, Jr, available here for purchase.

SHARE